Eco Annie’s Earth Week Solutions #2 Renewable Energy

THE PROBLEM WITH OUR CURRENT GLOBAL ENERGY SYSTEMS

The current global energy system we use is key to understanding climate change and this understanding will then help us to move towards a more sustainable energy system. Today the global energy system comprises of approximately 80% fossil fuels (coal, oil, gas) and the remaining 20% is made up of renewable energy, wood, biomass, nuclear and hydro.  It is important to note that, at the moment, less than 1% of the world energy system is renewable energy (solar and wind). We need to change this 80/20 mix so that renewable energies such as wind and solar are powering 80% of the global energy system (through electrification) and fossil fuels are reduced to 20%. 

How could you use renewable energy in your home or in a project at school?

SOLUTIONS

  1. Change from your current car to an ELECTRIC CAR, On 26th July 2017 the BBC reported that there will be a UK ban on diesel and petrol vehicles from 2040 UK ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2040
  2. Home biofuel machine – new technologies are becoming available and the prices are getting lower.  Check out this home biofuel machine which changes your food waste into fuel for cooking and also high-grade fertiliser to use in your garden.Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 17.12.51
  3. Invest in solar panels for your home or solar-powered gadgets and wind turbine technology.  We need to create a market for these so that it drives the price down and consumption increases.

In Antarctica, we created a solar light show with mini solar lights.IAE 2018 Slides (237 of 296)

At the United Nations International School in Hanoi, Vietnam they are using a solar panel to filter the pond and provide water for their hydroponics.UNIS

Check out this video of my friend Vijay Varada who founded his own 3D printing company https://www.fracktal.in/home.html and tested out a 3D printed wind turbine in Antarctica – it created enough power to charge up his mobile phone. In the video, I am also holding my solar-powered device charger which I have been using frequently to charge up my mobile phone. https://www.voltaicsystems.com/

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s